Two-time National Cornbread Cook-off winner Lori Stephens of Hendersonville, Tennessee, won with this recipe in 2010 with her over-the-top version of sliders using a cast iron manufactured by Lodge Cast Iron. The 2018 cook-off is April 28. This recipe and is provided by Lodge Cast Iron.
Two 6.5-ounce packages Martha White Yellow Cornbread Mix
1/2 cup Martha White all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup sour cream
1 large egg
3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
8 strips bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
3/4 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce, chopped, with 1 teaspoon sauce
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium yellow onion, cut into thin rings
1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck
1 large egg
1/2 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
12 thin slices cheddar cheese (1/2 ounce each)
1. Make the slider buns. Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Spray 2 cast iron straight-sided muffin pans (6 cups each) with nonstick cooking spray.
Stir together the cornbread mix, flour, milk, sour cream, and egg in a large bowl until well blended. Stir in the chives, crumbled bacon, and cheese. Fill each of the wells in the prepared muffin pans three quarters full. Bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. (Any remaining batter can be made into additional muffins.)
2. Meanwhile, make the Chipotle Mayo. Combine the mayonnaise, chipotle chile, and adobo sauce in a small bowl until well blended. Set aside.
3. Make the burgers. Melt the butter in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion rings and cook, stirring a few times, until translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the skillet; wipe the skillet clean.
4. Combine the ground chuck, egg, bread crumbs, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Blend well. Divide into 12 equal portions. Pat out into thin burgers. Set the skillet over medium to medium-high heat until hot. Cook the burgers in batches until done to your liking. Top each burger with slice of cheese.
5. To serve, slice the cornbread muffins to make buns. Spread a thin layer of the Chipotle Mayo on the tops and bottoms. Place a burger on each bottom half. Top with onion rings. Place the tops on the burgers and serve.
Serves 6 (2 sliders each)