Whether you are chef or a cook who dreads the kitchen, finding the counter space to make the area feel less cluttered is a challenge in every kitchen. The Honest Abe Log Homes design team has a number of strategies to provide the cabinetry and storage space that keeps your countertop organized and your appliances and tableware easy to access.
The Honest Abe homeowner who’s kitchen is shown above created an island large enough for meal serving and seating that also has specially designed drawers for plates, small appliances and serving pieces.
There are several ways you can hide small appliances in your kitchen in an aesthetically pleasing way:
- Use cabinetry: One option is to incorporate your small appliances into your cabinetry by installing pull-out shelves or storage compartments specifically designed for these items.
- Use a kitchen island: If you have a kitchen island, you can use it to store and hide your small appliances by keeping them in drawers or on the lower shelf underneath the countertop.
- Use a pantry: Another option is to store your small appliances in a pantry or utility closet if you have one available. This can help to keep your kitchen countertops clutter-free.
- Use a appliance garage: Appliance garages are a great way to store small appliances while keeping them easily accessible. These are typically located on the countertop and have doors that can be closed to hide the appliances when not in use.
- Use a appliance hider: Appliance hiders are storage solutions specifically designed to hide small appliances. They are usually made of wood or other materials that match the cabinetry and can be placed on the countertop or mounted to the wall.
Remember to keep in mind the layout and design of your kitchen when choosing a solution for hiding your small appliances. It’s important to find a storage solution that works for your space and complements the overall aesthetic of the room.
Using drawers for storing dishes and cooking utensils in the kitchen is a popular storage solution that can help to keep your kitchen organized and clutter-free.
There are several ways that kitchen drawers can be used for this purpose:
- Utensil drawers: Many kitchens have a designated utensil drawer where items such as spatulas, tongs, and ladles are stored. This helps to keep these items easily accessible while also keeping them out of sight.
- Dish drawers: Some kitchens have drawers specifically designed for storing dishes such as plates, bowls, and cups. These drawers are usually located near the dishwasher for easy unloading and reloading.
- Spice drawers: Many kitchens also have a designated spice drawer where small bottles of spices and seasonings can be stored. This helps to keep your spices organized and within easy reach while cooking.
- Knife drawers: Some kitchens have a designated knife drawer where all of the knives are stored. This helps to keep the knives organized and easily accessible while also keeping them out of reach of children.
Using drawers for storing dishes and cooking utensils can help to save space on your countertops and keep your kitchen more organized. It’s important to choose drawers that are the right size and shape for the items you want to store, and to regularly declutter and reorganize the drawers to keep them tidy.
There are some other considerations for cabinetry when you are planning to build a home that you can age in or if there are people in the home who need some special assistance in the kitchen.
It can be helpful to choose drawers that are easy to open and close, such as those with soft-close hinges or handles that are easy to grip. It may also be helpful to choose drawers that are located at a comfortable height for the individual to reach.
It may also be necessary to choose drawers that can be easily accessed from a seated position or that have pull-out shelves to make it easier to reach items at the back of the drawer. It may also be helpful to choose drawers that are easy to open and close, such as those with soft-close hinges or handles that are easy to grip.