Honest Abe Living Magazine features Cooking with Lodge Cast Iron recipes in each issue along with photos of log cabins, log homes and timber frame homes.
3 cups cake flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
5 large egg whites
1 ( 4 3/4-ounce) package
strawberry-flavored Danish dessert
mix (such as Junket Danish Dessert)
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 (16-ounce) tub Cool Whip
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled
1. Grease 2 (12-inch) cast iron camp Dutch ovens (ovens with flat lids).
2. Make the cake: Sift and measure the flour into a medium bowl. Add the baking powder and salt and sift again. In a large bowl, beat the shortening. Gradually add the granulated sugar and beat until fluffy. Add the flour mixture to the shortening mixture alternately with the milk and extracts. Beat until blended after each addition.
3. In another large bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form; gently fold into the batter until no white streaks remain. Divide the batter between the prepared Dutch ovens and bake with 8 coals evenly arranged underneath each oven and 17 coals on top of the lids of each oven. Cook until a wooden pick inserted into the center of each comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
4. Make the topping: While the cakes cool, make the Danish dessert following package directions for the pie glaze.
5. Flip the cakes out of the Dutch ovens onto their lids. Stir together 1 cup of the confectioners’ sugar with the Cool Whip. In a separate bowl, beat together the remaining 1 cup confectioners’ sugar and the cream cheese. Combine the cream cheese and Cool Whip mixtures. Spread about half the Cool Whip mixture on the top of one of the cakes. Arrange half the strawberries on top. Place the other cake layer on top and spread the remaining Cool Whip mixture over the cake layer. Arrange the remaining strawberries attractively over the topping and spread the Danish dessert over the strawberries.
Makes one (12-inch) layer cake; serves 10-12.
With 200 recipes curated from Lodge’s network of chefs and fans, Cast Iron Nation boasts a diverse array of recipes, stories and spectacular photography.
Get it at www.lodgemfg.com.