Yes, coat closets are still a thing. A coat closet is a small room or space, typically located near the front entrance of a home, that is used for storing outerwear such as coats, jackets, and hats.
Coat closets can be useful for keeping these items organized and out of sight, and they can also provide a place to hang wet or muddy coats and shoes to keep them from tracking dirt and water into the rest of the house.
Coat closets are common in many homes, but they may not be present in all homes depending on the size and layout of the house. Some people may also use a hall closet or a mudroom for similar purposes.
A coat closet should be designed with organization and ease of use in mind. Here are some tips for designing a coat closet:
- Consider the size and layout of the closet. Measure the space and determine how much room you have to work with. Consider whether you want a single row of hanging space or if you have room for multiple rows.
- Install a rod for hanging coats. The rod should be installed at a height that is comfortable for people of different heights to reach.
- Add shelves or bins for storing gloves, hats, and other small items. These can be installed above or below the hanging rod, depending on the layout and size of the closet.
- Consider installing hooks or hangers for bags and purses. These can be placed on the walls or on the back of the door.
- Install a light in the closet to make it easier to see what you’re looking for.
- Consider adding a shoe rack or storage bin for keeping shoes and boots organized.
- Use storage bins or baskets to contain smaller items and keep them from getting lost.
- By following these tips, you can design a coat closet that is both functional and organized.